Rockville City Weekly Crime Summary August 5, 2012
Rockville City Police Department
Tips of the Week:
As the summer comes to a close, many residents will have children heading off to college. The Rockville City Police Department would like to provide some crime prevention tips for departing college students:
Police Crime Report
For the Week ending August 5, 2012
Know how to contact Public Safety or the Police -
Walking around campus -
- Know the emergency telephone number for your campus Public Safety or Police Department.
- Keep the emergency phone numbers near your phones (Stickers, magnets, etc.)
- Program emergency phone numbers into your cell phone.
- Ensure that you are subscribed to the campus mass notification system on campus.
- Participate in any campus emergency or safety programs being offered (emergency transmitter, whistle, self-defense).
Keeping safe in residence halls –
- Familiarize yourself with the layout of the campus. Survey areas where classes are held during both the daytime hours when classes are in session and after hours. Check to see that the buildings, walkways, facilities and parking lots are adequately secured and well-lighted.
- During evening hours stick to well-lighted areas. Avoid alleyways or “short cuts” through isolated areas.
- If possible travel in groups and avoid going out alone at night.
- Use the campus shuttle or escort services at night.
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you!
- Do not overload yourself with bags, books, packages and avoid wearing shoes that restrict your movements.
- If you are being followed, change direction and go to the nearest business or home; knock on the door and request that someone call the police.
Things to consider if you are planning to live off-campus –
- Always lock your door, windows; even when you’re sleeping or just going down the hall.
- Do not allow strangers to enter your room or your complex. Do not open your door unless you can identify the person seeking entry.
- Do not let unknown persons “tailgate” ask who they are visiting and offer to call Public Safety.
- DO NOT PROP ANY EXTERIOR DOORS OPEN TO ALLOW UNESCORTED VISITORS INTO THE RESIDNECE HALL!
- Report lost or stolen residence hall keys immediately to your residence hall staff.
- Report any malfunctioning locks, doors or windows to your residence hall staff.
- DO NOT LEAVE MESSAGES ON YOUR DOOR ABOUT WHEN YOU WILL BE RETURNING TO YOUR ROOM.
- Report any suspicious persons or activities (including solicitors) in or near your residence hall to your residence hall staff, Public Safety or Police.
- Get to your know residence RA, staff.
Help us in the fight against crime by not becoming a victim.
- Check to see how safe will your commute be to campus (escort service, shuttle service, etc.)
- Does the grounds/buildings have security/police patrol the premises?
- Check the security of the property – is there an intercom system, peepholes installed in door, secured front entrance?
- How often are the locks changed? How secured are the locks, doors and windows?
- Is there adequate parking?
- How well-lighted are the grounds? How is the maintenance of the property?
- Is there adequate fire safety detection and an evacuation system in place?
City Police Reported Incidents
A R R E S T S
- A male, age 15, was arrested on 07/27/12 for a theft that occurred earlier between 07/26/12 and 07/27/12 in the unit block of Maryland Avenue.
- 500 block of Lincoln Street, a male, age 51, was arrested for 2 counts of 2nd degree assault and obstructing and hindering a police investigation on 07/29/12 between 12:40 p.m. and 12:41 p.m.
- A male, age 19, was arrested on 07/30/12 for a theft that occurred earlier on 07/29/12 in the 300 block of Martins lane.
- 1200 block of Highwood Road, a male, age 26, was arrested for violating a protection order on 07/30/12 between 12:15 p.m. and 12:21 p.m.
- 200 block of Rockville Pike, a male, unknown age, was arrested for theft on 07/31/12 between 1:50 p.m. and 1:59 p.m.
- 1000 block of Seven Locks Road, a female, age 55, was arrested for 2nd degree assault, disorderly conduct, and alcoholic beverage endanger safety on 08/01/12 between 5:32 p.m. and 5:53 p.m.
- A male, age 13, was arrested on 08/01/12 for 2 counts of armed robbery, 7 counts of 1st degree assault, 2 counts of theft and 11 counts of conspiracy (1 count for each charge), for two separate incidents that occurred earlier on 07/31/12 – one in the 600 block of Mannakee Street and the other in the 15100 block of Frederick Road.
- A male, age 13, was arrested on 08/02/12 for 1 count of strong arm robbery, 1 count of theft, 1 count of Credit Card/Another less than $1,000 and 3 counts of conspiracy (1 count for each charge), that occurred earlier on 07/21/12 in the 600 block of Harrington Road.
- 1200 block of Highwood Road, a male, age 53, was arrested for trespassing and an active RCPD warrant for violating a peace order/failure to comply on 08/02/12 between 5:58 p.m. and 6:05 p.m.
- 200 block of Dawson Avenue, a female, age 31, was arrested for disorderly conduct on 08/03/12 between 4:00 a.m. and 4:30 a.m.
- Unit block of Monroe Place, 2 males, both 20 years old, were arrested for possession of CDS-marijuana on 08/03/12 at 5:50 p.m. In addition, one of the males was also charged with possession of CDS-Vyvanse.
- 300 block of Hungerford Drive, a male, age 50, was arrested for disorderly conduct on 08/04/12 between 2:49 p.m. and 3:41 p.m.
I N C I D E N T S
As a reminder, citizens are encouraged to contact the Rockville City Police Department with any information on incidents listed above or to report a crime occurring within the City limits at 240-314-8900.
- 300 block of Martins Lane, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed his wallet and debit card from an unattended backpack while he was at the park on 07/21/12 between 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- 1400 block of Research Boulevard, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed U.S. currency from a purse that was in an unsecured desk drawer on 07/27/12 between 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- 200 block of East Argyle, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed U.S. currency, an Ipad, and a Bluetooth from a locked vehicle between 07/31/12-7:00 p.m. and 08/01/12-5:30 a.m.
- 200 block of Monroe Street, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed a computer tablet from a locked vehicle on 07/31/12-11:00 p.m. and 08/01/12-10:00 a.m.
- 200 block of Rockville Pike, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed a wallet, U. S. currency and an identification card from a desk in an office on 08/01/12 between 12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- 100 block of Fallsgrove Boulevard, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed 2 video game consoles, a VCR/DVD player, a television/VCR set, assorted CDs, and 2 GPS systems from a vehicle between 08/01/12-9:00 p.m. and 08/02/12-2:00 p.m.
- Unit block of Choke Cherry Road, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed 3 fire extinguishers from a garage that is under construction on 08/02/12 between 4:30 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- 13200 block of Okinawa Avenue, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed a set of golf clubs, a golf bag, a GPS, 2 cell phone chargers, a driver’s license, U.S. currency, 2 prescription medications from a vehicle on 08/03/12 between 2:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- 2300 block of Henslowe Drive, an unknown subject gained access by unknown means into a residence by unknown means on 08/03/12 between 11:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Once inside the unknown subject removed a wallet, a driver’s license and 4 credit cards.
- 600 block of Azalea Drive, an unknown subject gained access through an unlocked door to an office on 08/03/12 between 12:00 p.m. and 3:43 p.m. Once inside the unknown subject removed U.S. currency from a backpack.
- 2300 block of Wootton Parkway, the complainant reported that an unknown subject removed a purse, U.S. currency, a driver’s license, a cell phone, and clothing from an unattended backpack at a swim center on 08/04/12 between 9:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
Last edited by Howard Hartman; 08-14-2012 at 08:52 AM.