Residents Urged to be Aware of Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Residents without power are urged to be aware that using gas or charcoal grills, propane heaters and stoves, kerosene space heaters or generators indoors can be fatal. They are a source of carbon monoxide, which can build up indoors and cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, odorless and non-irritating gas that individuals may be unaware they are breathing. Symptoms include: mild headache initially, increasing in intensity to throbbing headache; shortness of breath; irritability and fatigue; impaired judgement; memory loss; vomiting; and symptoms often described as “flu-like.” Symptoms can progress rapidly when the victim remains indoors, but decrease when leaving the home or location.
For residents still without power, the County has opened a warming center at Richard Montgomery High School, at 250 Richard Montgomery Drive, Rockville. For more information about the center, call 311.