Rockville City Weekly Crime Summary - May 10, 2010
Rockville City Police Department Police Crime Report
For the Week ending May 10, 2010
Tips of the Week:
The Rockville City Police Department would like to provide parents with tips to help prevent their children from becoming a victim of cyberbullying.
What your children need to know:
Since most cyberbullying takes place at home, parents can help protect their children from cyberbully by following these few simple tips:
- Never give personal information online, whether it is in instant messaging, chat rooms, blogs or personal websites.
- Never tell anyone, but your parent, your password. Do not tell friends.
- If you receive a mean or threatening message, do not respond. Save it or print it, and show it to your parents.
- Never open e-mails from someone you don’t know or from someone you know is a bully.
- Do not put anything online that you would not want your classmates or parents to see.
- Do not send messages when you are angry. Before clicking “send,” ask yourself how you would feel if you received the message.
Help us in the fight against crime, by not becoming a victim.
- Keep your home computer in a busy area of the house.
- Set up e-mail and chat accounts with your children. Make sure that you know their screen names and passwords, and that they don’t include any personal information in their online profiles.
- Regularly go over their instant messenger “buddy list” with them. Ask who each person is and how your child knows him or her.
- Print a list of commonly used acronyms in instant messenger and chat rooms. This information can be obtained by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children’s website, www.missingkids.com. In the search field type “acronyms.”
- Discuss cyberbullying with your child and ask if he or she has ever experienced it or knows about it happening to someone.
City Police Reported Incidents
ILLEGAL DRUG ARRESTS
A R R E S T S
- 05/04/10-(12:30 a.m.) Thomas Melvin Casey, M, age 20, of Rockville, was arrested for possession of CDS-paraphernalia following a traffic stop at the intersection of Rockville Pike and Mt. Vernon Place. Mr. Casey was issued a criminal citation and released at the scene.
- 05/06/10-(12:12 a.m.) Justin Bruce Conley, M, age 21, of Olney, was arrested for possession of CDS-paraphernalia following a traffic stop at the intersection of Frederick Road and Watkins Pond Boulevard. Mr. Conley was issued a citation and released.
- 05/08/10-(10:21 p.m.) Norman John Jackson, M, age 22, of Gaithersburg, was arrested for possession of a concealed dangerous weapon (knife) following a suspicious vehicle complaint at the intersection of Duke Court and Princeton Place, that resulted in a traffic stop at the intersection of Frederick Road and East Gude Drive. Mr. Jackson was transported to the Central Processing Unit for processing.
- 05/08/10-(9:25 a.m.) Marvin Leon Williams, M, age 48, of Rockville, was arrested for 2 counts of 1st degree assault and disorderly conduct following a complaint in the 1300 block of First Street. Mr. Williams was transported to the Central Processing Unit for processing.
- 05/08/10-(11:15 a.m.) Male juvenile, age 17, of Rockville, was arrested for 2nd degree assault and reckless endangerment following a complaint at the intersection of Aleutian Avenue and Midway Avenue. The male juvenile was transported to the Montgomery County Police Department’s 1st District Station for processing and released into the custody of his father.
- 05/07/10-(9:59 p.m.) Ruhay Lake Thewodros Asfaw, M, age 18, of Rockville, was arrested for attempted theft following a complaint in the 100 block of Forest Avenue. Mr. Asfaw was transported to the Rockville City Police Department for processing and released.
- 05/09/10-(2:12 a.m.) James Stanley Zoller, M, age 48, of Woodbine, was arrested for driving under the influence following a traffic stop in the 1400 block of Rockville Pike. Mr. Zoller was transported to the Rockville City Police Department for processing and released.
I N C I D E N T S
- 04/29/10-(11:30 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.) 15000 block of Shady Grove Road, unknown suspect(s) removed U.S. currency, a bank card and a book of stamps from an unattended purse located in an unsecured office.
- 05/02/10-(1:01 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.) 400 block of McArthur Drive, unknown suspect(s) removed a set of golf clubs with bag, golf balls, golf glove and a camcorder from a vehicle.
- 05/02/10-(12:35 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.) 800 block of Rockville, unknown suspect(s) removed a wallet and a purse along from 2 vehicles at a shopping center parking lot.
- 05/04/10-(10:01 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.) 100 block of Rockville Pike, unknown suspect(s) removed 2 credit cards and U.S. currency from an unattended purse located in an office cubicle.
- 05/04/10-(10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) 200 block of East Middle Lane, unknown suspect(s) removed an unattended purse containing credit cards, a driver’s license, insurance card and U.S. currency from a hostess counter at a restaurant.
- 05/04/10-(12:15 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.) 2700 Tower Oaks Boulevard, unknown suspect(s) removed a laptop with power cord and a GPS from an unsecured office.
- 05/04/10-05/05/10-(9:30 p.m. – 7:30 a.m.) 1000 block of Gaither Road, unknown suspect(s) removed a GPS system with window mount from an unlocked vehicle.
- 05/05/10-(10:15 a.m. – 3:20 p.m.) Unit block of Mannakee Street, unknown suspect(s) removed a laptop, a wireless mouse, a purse containing wallet, credit cards, prescription medication, gift cards and 2 endorsed checks from a vehicle.
- 05/07/10-(8:35 a.m.) 200 block of Richard Montgomery Drive, unknown suspect(s) removed an Ipod from a classroom.
As a reminder, citizens are encouraged to contact the Rockville City Police Department with any information on incidents listed above or to report a crime occurring within the City limits at 240-314-8900.
- 04/24/10-05/04/10-(8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.) 1600 block of E. Jefferson Street, Residential, unknown suspect(s) gained access by unknown means into an apartment. Once inside the unknown suspect(s) removed 2 nightstands, 2 table lamps, a floor lamp, a chest of drawers, a chair, linens and 4 pillows.
- 05/01/10-05/03/10-(4:00 p.m. – 7:40 a.m.) 600 block of Dover Road, Commercial, unknown suspect(s) gained access by breaking a front window of a business. Once inside the unknown suspect(s) removed paperwork.
- 05/06/10-(9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.) 500 block of Pinewood Drive, Residential, unknown suspect(s) gained access by unknown means through a front door of a residence. Once inside the unknown suspect(s) removed U.S. currency and a laptop computer.
- 05/07/10-(5:18 p.m. – 5:21 p.m.) Unit block of North Washington Street, Commercial, unknown suspect(s) gained access prying open a door to a dental office. Once inside the unknown suspect(s) removed U.S. currency and a camera.
- 05/09/10-05/10/10-(5:00 p.m. – 1:40 a.m.) 600 block of Dover Road, Commercial, unknown suspect(s) gained access by unknown means into a business. Nothing taken.