Connected Communities Newswire  

Go Back   Connected Communities Newswire > Newswires > County Government Newswire > County Council

H E A D L I N E S

County Council Read County Council by LISTSERV or RSS

Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Editor

Default Redeveloping Wheaton, Jewish-Latino Business Alliance, and More

Councilmember Navarro
In This Issue:

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

Today, the County Council unanimously voted to (tentatively) approve the Wheaton Redevelopment Program in the FY13-18 Capital Budget. The final vote on the budget will be on May 24th.

The plan the Council approved today is an important milestone toward revitalizing Wheaton's downtown core. Over the next six years, the County will begin construction of a new County-owned office building and large town square (with ample green space) on Lot 13 (Triangle Lane). The plan also includes funding to study and begin planning a redevelopment project on the WMATA bus bay site at the corner of Georgia Ave. and Veirs Mill Rd.

During the first two years, the County will conduct a series of studies to prepare for redevelopment and begin designing the building and town square. One of the biggest concerns I've heard from small business owners is about the availability of parking during construction. The County will explore all of the possible options related to parking and develop a comprehensive plan to address this issue before construction begins.

As the Councilmember representing Wheaton, it is my priority to see significant revitalization that attracts more people to the area and helps existing small businesses. This action by the Council today-to invest more than $66 million in Wheaton over the next six years-will put us on a path toward accomplishing our full vision of Wheaton redevelopment.

Revitalization of the central business district is only one element of my comprehensive approach for Wheaton's revitalization. Earlier this year, the Council (tentatively) approved accelerating construction of the Wheaton Library and Recreation Center and putting the modernization of Wheaton and Edison High Schools back on track after they were recommended to be delayed by the County Executive. These two projects, along with new construction in the central business district, will attract private investment and improve the quality of life for all of Wheaton's residents. 

JLBA

Jewish/Latino Business Alliance

First Jewish/Latino Business Alliance Meeting
Kosher Pastry Oven in Silver Spring 

I am pleased to announce an effort organized by my office bringing together Jewish and Latino small business owners to discuss their common experiences, network, and share technical assistance. We have had an unbelievable response so far, with more than a dozen businesses participating in the first two meetings of the group. Last month, representatives from the Department of General Services came to discuss the County's procurement practices, programs for minority and women-owned businesses, and Wheaton Redevelopment.

Our next meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 18th at 1 pm. We will meet at Los Chorros Restaurant in Wheaton located at 2420 Blueridge Avenue (301 933-1066). Please RSVP to Laurie Edberg at (240) 777-7968 or Laurie.Edberg@montgomerycountymd.gov if you are interested in joining the group. 

Berman

Berman Academy/Harmony Hill Elementary School Partnership  

Last year,I met with Dr. Joshua Levisohn, Headmaster at the Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy

in Silver Spring, to tour and learn more about the Berman Academy. We discussed a partnership between the private Jewish Day School and a neighboring public elementary school. The idea was to "bridge the divide" between both schools to allow students to get to know one another on a personal level. The schools are located nearby, but the communities do not often overlap. The Berman Academy is made up of Jewish day school students living throughout Montgomery County and Harmony Hills Elementary School has many students from other countries with a high percentage of students receiving English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instruction and free and reduced meals.

In January, the Berman Academy selected 8 eighth graders to visit with kindergarten classes at Harmony Hills ES on a monthly basis. The eighth graders, referred to as "Chessid Ambassadors" (Chessid is Hebrew for "kindness"), help the kindergarteners with reading and math lessons. This will be an ongoing relationship between both schools as each of the students benefit from gaining understanding about people from other cultures and backgrounds. The program is supervised by the guidance counselors of both schools. I am delighted that my office was able to facilitate this first of its kind program and I am confident that it will continue to evolve into a long-lasting relationship for both schools. 

SandySpring

Sandy Spring: Unity in the Time of Segregation

Over the past few months, my office spearheaded the production of a documentary titled Sandy Spring: Unity in the Time of Segregation.  The documentary, moderated by a Montgomery College student, portrays true stories of seniors living during the time of segregation in Sandy Spring, Maryland. There was a free screening of the 30 minute documentary held on Wednesday, March 28th at the historic Sandy Spring Museum.  The screening was attended by over 100 people with elected officials and leaders of the community in attendance.  Before and after the screening, the Sharp Street United Methodist Mass Choir sang very uplifting musical selections.  Many reporters from Comcast and other media outlets interviewed those involved.  This project was a true collaboration between my office, Montgomery College, Ross Boddy Community Center and Comcast. 

To view Sandy Spring: Unity in the Time of Segregation online click here

Olney

Olney Library Update 

Photos: Montgomery County Public Libraries

As construction continues on the Olney Library, Montgomery County has opened Olney MCPL Express at the Longwood Community Center (19300 Georgia Ave.). MCPL Express @ Olney is an opportunity for you to check out current materials, return borrowed materials and pick up your holds. You can find more information about MCPL Express @ Olney here.

Glenmont

Glenmont Sector Plan Update

Draft of overall vision, including potential land uses, and bike and pedestrian connectivity.
Photo: Montgomery County Planning Department

Montgomery County's Planning Department held a series of visioning workshops during February and March to learn what residents, business owners and others want to see in a future Glenmont. If you weren't able to make it to a workshop, you can still weigh in. Use the comment tool on the Glenmont Sector Plan website to provide feedback about the draft vision, land uses and pedestrian connectivity. The County Council will likely take up the Sector Plan next spring.   

community

Community Bulletin Board

New Energy Saving Program from Pepco

Pepco has introduced a new web-based platform to learn about ways to save energy (and money). Click the portal for Maryland Customers to find information about Energy Wise Rewards, Applicance rebate Program, Energy Star appliances, and more. Find more information on Pepco's website: http://www.pepco.com/energy/conservation.

Boards and Commissions Vacancies

There are several vacancies on County Boards and Commissions. You can see a full listing of openings here

Find more information about participating at www.montgomerycountymd.gov/cable

If you have questions, you can email info@projectchange-md.org.

ContactMe

Thank you!

As always, thank you very much for taking the time to read my e-newsletter. As we continue the budget process, I will keep you updated on the Council's actions and my top priorities. If you ever need assistance or have any questions, please don't hesitate to call my office at (240) 777-7968 or e-mail councilmember.navarro@montgomercountymd.gov.

Sincerely,

Nancy Navarro

Council Vice President

Councilmember, District 4

Contact Me

Office of Councilmember Nancy Navarro

100 Maryland Avenue

Rockville, MD 20850

(240) 777 - 7968

Councilmember.Navarro@MontgomeryCountyMD.Gov

Like me on Facebook  Follow me on Twitter

Councilmember Nancy Navarro | 100 Maryland Avenue | Rockville | MD | 20904