Rockville Celebrates Earth Day with
| ||For Immediate Release|
March 12, 2012
Environmental Activities Throughout April
Rockville, Md., March 12 - Each year Rockville celebrates Earth Day, which is April 22, with a variety of activities throughout the month of April, including trainings, stream cleanups and festivals.
The following list highlights some of the events planned in Rockville during April. Additional events are viewable on the City's website at www.rockvillemd.gov/environment/earth-day.html
- A Green Business Certification Training will be held at Glenview Mansion at Rockville Civic Center Park, 603 Edmonston Drive, Tuesday, April 10, 8:30-11:30 a.m. Participants will learn how to turn their business into a green leader at this training. For more information or to sign up, visit www.rockvillechamber.org.
- Stream Cleanups are planned throughout the city from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 14, as part of the 24th Annual Potomac River Watershed Cleanup. The Croydon Creek Nature Center is one of the designated cleanup locations. Student Service Learning (SSL) hours are available for student volunteers. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Bags and gloves provided. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
- An Invasive Plant Pull takes place Sunday, April 22, from 1-4 p.m. at Croydon Creek Nature Center. Invasive plants out compete native plants and offer little or no food for native wildlife. Gloves and bags provided. SSL hours are available for student volunteers. See www.rockvillemd.gov/croydoncreek for more information.
- An Arbor Day Tree Planting Event takes place Wednesday, April 25, at 11 a.m. at the corner of South Washington Street and East Montgomery Avenue. Rockville has been named a Tree City USA for 22 consecutive years.
- A Spring Festival and Native Plant Sale takes place Saturday, April 28, 1-4 p.m. at Croydon Creek Nature Center. The festival features woodland hikes, nature games and crafts, exhibits, live animal shows and a rain barrel and native plant sale. The event is free. Plant pre-orders are being accepted through Croydon Creek Nature Center. Call 240-314-8770 for information.
- An Environmental Awards Ceremony takes place Monday, April 30, at the Mayor and Council meeting. The Rockville Environmental Excellence Awards, including the Carl Henn Outstanding Individual Environmental Achievement Award, are presented to individuals or organizations to recognize outstanding achievement or service to the environment in Rockville.
To learn more about Earth Day or any of the City's environmental programs, go to www.rockvillemd.gov/environment
. To learn more about Croydon Creek Nature Center go to www.rockvillemd.gov/croydoncreek