Connected Communities Newswire  

Go Back   Connected Communities Newswire > Newswires > Community Newswire > Gaithersburg

H E A D L I N E S

Gaithersburg Read Gaithersburg News by LISTSERV or RSS

Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Editor

Default Gaithersburg City Manager’s Annual Performance Evaluation

City of Gaithersburg Press Release
For Immediate Release          December 20, 2011

Joint Statement from the Mayor and City Council
and City Manager of Gaithersburg Regarding the City
Manager’s Annual Performance Evaluation

Statement Read by Mayor Sidney Katz at Mayor & City Council Meeting

December 19

For the past several months the Mayor and City Council have been in the process of conducting an annual performance review of Gaithersburg City Manager, Angel L. Jones. The review process was modified in 2011, requiring the Mayor and Council to meet in executive session on a number of occasions to discuss changes to the review documents and feedback mechanisms and to analyze input.

In the first two years of City Manager Jones’ tenure with the City, significant focus was placed on fiscal matters. With the City on more stable economic footing, we feel that it is appropriate now, in addition to fiscal matters, to be more operationally focused as well. As such, we wanted to conduct a more comprehensive review with regards to operations, soliciting a broader range of feedback from City employees at all levels.

It is our assessment that the City of Gaithersburg, under City Manager Jones’ leadership, is poised to go from good to great. We support many of the steps that the City Manager has taken during her tenure, but are always looking at ways to improve our operations. During this review process we worked collaboratively with her to implement changes and to identify operational initiatives that will improve the workings of City government. Primary amongst them will be emphasis to improve employee morale, to ensure better productivity and efficiency, a thorough review of the Kronos timekeeping system, and a focus on both internal and external communication. The City Manager will begin unveiling new programs and initiatives to address these issues early in 2012.

“The City Council and I appreciate the candid and thoughtful feedback that we received from all staff involved in the review process,” said Mayor Sidney Katz. “I look forward to Angel’s efforts to implement the initiatives discussed and to take the City to even greater heights.”

“I welcome this feedback,” said City Manager Angel Jones. “I’m happy that there is validation that the City is a highly functioning organization, and I look forward to addressing a number of internal priorities to allow our employees to achieve even greater success. The support of the Mayor and City Council means a great deal to me, and I am proud to be part of this team.”

All full time City of Gaithersburg employees receive performance reviews on an annual basis. Only the City Manager and the City Attorney are reviewed directly by the Mayor and City Council.

For more information on the City’s review process please contact the Office of the City Manager at 301-258-6310.