Track Work for Weekend of September 9-11
This weekend, September 9-11, Metro will advance track work on the Red, Blue, Orange and Green lines. The work will begin at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Sunday.
Customers should take note of the following service impacts:
Red Line 10 p.m., Friday through closing on Sunday:
Blue and Orange Lines 10 p.m. Friday through closing on Sunday:
- Red Line trains will share one track between Dupont Circle and Judiciary Square to allow for utility work and ceiling repairs at Farragut North, replacement of rail fasteners, and installation of new emergency phones and communication cables to expand cell phone coverage.
- On Saturday and Sunday between 9:30 a.m. and 9 p.m., Red Line trains will depart approximately every 10 minutes from Shady Grove and Glenmont. Every other train leaving Shady Grove station will terminate at Dupont Circle. Every other train leaving Glenmont will terminate at Union Station.
- At all other times during the weekend, Red Line trains will depart approximately every 20 minutes from Shady Grove and Glenmont.
- The last train departing Glenmont station will leave 11 minutes earlier than usual. The last trains will depart Glenmont at 2:26 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and at 11:26 p.m. on Sunday.
- Customers should allow about 30 minutes of additional travel time.
Green Line 10 p.m. Friday through closing on Sunday
- Blue and Orange Line trains will single track between Eastern Market and Stadium-Armory as crews install new rail and related infrastructure.
- In addition, Orange Line trains will single track between Vienna and West Falls Church while personnel replace cross ties and insulators.
- Throughout the weekend, all Blue and Orange Line trains will depart endpoint terminals approximately every 20 minutes.
- Customers should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time.
Weekday Service Information
- Green Line trains will single track between Greenbelt and College Park while personnel install new rail and related infrastructure.
- Customers should allow about 20 minutes of additional time.
During the week of September 6-9, trains will single track on the Red, Blue and Green Lines. Customers should note the following minor service impacts:
Red Line 10 p.m. through closing Tuesday through Thursday
Blue Line 10 p.m. through closing Tuesday through Thursday
- Red Line single tracking between Friendship Heights and Grosvenor (rail renewal and tunnel leak repairs).
- Red Line single tracking between New York Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue (rail and tie renewal).
Green Line 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Friday
- Blue Line single tracking between Stadium-Armory and Addison Road (floating slab repairs).
- Green Line single tracking between Naylor Road and Branch Avenue (rail renewal).
- Customers should not anticipate any delays during this time.
Metro is advancing a six-year, $5 billion Capital Improvement Program (CIP) that is focused on safety and bringing the Metro system into a state of good repair. In FY2012, the CIP includes projects to replace escalators; retrofit track; replace critical track circuitry and equipment along the right of way; rehabilitate third-rail power systems, running rail and track pads; modernize 12 stations; replace 100 Metrobuses and the rehabilitate 100 more; renovate three bus garages; and install 30 new track turnouts.